Lacre derived it’s name from an earlier firm, Long Acre Motor Company, named after the district in London where it was first established. Lorry manufacturing began in 1904 and for a few years Lacre was a major name in the industry. Its fortunes declined in the nineteen-twenties, and after 1928 few lorries were built. Fortunately, the company had introduced its first road sweeper in 1917, which developed two years later into the 12hp four cylinder three-wheeled L-type, production of which moved to the new Welwyn Garden City factory in 1928. The last complete vehicles were built under the Lacre name in 1952.
This L-type was bought third hand by Great Yarmouth Transport Corporation in 1968, who donated it to us nine years later.





